A person spends at least 6-8 hours a day in bed, so it is very important to keep the bed clean. And if we wash bed linen, pillows and blankets regularly, then we rarely clean mattresses at home. Irregular cleaning leads to the fact that dust and microparticles accumulate in the product, and dust mites or, even worse, linen lice multiply. A favourable environment for the reproduction of bacteria and microorganisms is created by many factors, one of which is the biological fluids that have fallen on the mattress. We have prepared instructions on how to remove yellow stains from a mattress at home, and we will also talk about the general rules for cleaning and caring for these products.
It is necessary to involve professional cleaners in cleaning because they use effective chemistry that breaks down dirt, and equipment that draws out dirt and moisture. It is worth resorting to dry cleaning services at least once every six months. Regular cleaning of the mattress will prevent the reproduction of dust mites, as well as the development of various diseases: allergic reactions, demodicosis and others.
Before and after dry cleaning it is necessary to properly use the mattress, consider some useful tips:
- 1-2 times a week you need to change and wash bed linen;
- It is recommended to wash blankets and pillows 2-3 times during the season. For feather pillows, it is worth ordering cleaning or restoration once a year;
- You should follow the rules of personal hygiene, because the mattress, like a sponge, absorbs sweat, sebum, etc. All these liquids and substances form yellow spots after drying;
- Do not forget to use a mattress cover, which significantly reduces the rate of appearance and the amount of pollution;
- The mattress needs to be turned over 2-3 times a year, and also cleaned 3-4 times a year with a vacuum cleaner.
It is necessary to carry out wet cleaning 3-4 times a week, the bed frame is cleaned with the same frequency, on which a huge amount of dust accumulates. If a small child sleeps or plays on the bed, then it should be covered with an absorbent film, which, in case of force majeure, will absorb urine. If you need to clean a children’s mattress of yellow spots or fresh urine, then proceed as follows:
- Collect the liquid with a sponge or towel, but do not smear it over the product, otherwise, the stain will increase in size by 2 or 3 times;
- Wash the contaminated area with soapy water;
- Remove the soap using a sponge or cloth dampened with water.
We will talk about other methods that will help remove yellow stains from the mattress right now.
Using soap and dish detergent
Yellow spots that appear on the product after the ingress of urine, sweat and other liquids can be wiped off with a soap solution:
- Combine 1 glass of water (200 ml) with 2 tbsp. l. liquid soap or dish detergent. Use a colourless composition, refuse to use laundry soap, which can aggravate the situation;
- Pour the liquid into a spray bottle, and then spray on the contaminated area;
- Use a damp sponge to remove any remaining soap solution.
After that, dry the mattress, for which you can either open the window or turn on the air conditioner. Please note that a poorly dried product may emit an unpleasant odour or become mouldy. If you are removing an old stain, then before cleaning the product must be deducted using a vacuum cleaner, otherwise, stains will appear on it.
How to wash a mattress from yellow spots? Applying hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is effective in removing yellow marks, but it may discolour the material. Therefore, before use, be sure to apply a small amount of the solution to the fabric, and then evaluate the reaction. The test should be carried out before using any means! If you want to wash the mattress of yellow spots, then the following instructions will help you:
- Connect 2 tsp. soda, ¼ of a bottle of peroxide and colourless liquid soap;
- Apply the mixture on the stain, leave for 1-2 minutes, and then remove with a damp sponge. You can apply undiluted peroxide, but in this case, discolouration of the fabric cannot be avoided – this approach is only advisable when removing old traces.
Remember that it is forbidden to combine hydrogen peroxide or soda with vinegar, because such a mixture will not be able to remove stains, but will cause coughing, and irritation of the mucous membranes or skin.
Useful tips on how to clean a white mattress from stains
Before cleaning, it is worth determining the composition, because cotton products do not tolerate water. A cotton mattress needs to be cleaned with foam (the method is suitable for any type of product):
- Combine in a glass 100 ml of water and 1 tbsp. l. liquid soap;
- Mix the components, and then beat them until an elastic foam appears;
- Treat the yellow mark with foam, and remove it with a dry towel.
Yellow stains work well with sparkling water, which simply needs to be sprayed onto the contaminated area. The air bubbles will have a damaging effect on pollution. However, the best solution is dry cleaning, which will help remove blood from any type of foundation, remove grease from upholstered furniture or yellow stains from mattresses. A professional cleaning will get rid of dust mites, and will also restore the decorative characteristics of any product. For work, the best chemistry is used, which will not harm the health of people and pets!